Discover the authentic Basque Country with this fantastic tour on the region's remote, beautiful inland.
Elorrio, Onati, and Arantzazu Sanctuary Trip
After picking you up from your hotel early in the morning, we will start our journey into the interior of the Basque Country. On the way, we will pass through Durango and its medieval old town and we will also see the two natural parks, Gorbea, and Urkiola. These natural parks are known for their wonderful wildlife and also for their splendid forests, their stormy peaks, and the legends of witches.
The first stop will be in Elorrio, a municipality in the province of Biscay that is characterized by the abundance and finesse of its palaces and stately homes made of carved stone. We will admire its elegant stone coats of arms embedded in the walls of its mansions and the Portal de Don Tello, a vestige of the wall that surrounded the town.
We will visit the Necropolis of Argiñeta, on the outskirts of Elorrio, where we will see its tombs and immerse ourselves in the town's ancient history. Just a few miles outside Elorrio, we will find the church of San Agustín de Etxebarria, built in the Basque Gothic style in the 11th century.
We will then continue until we reach Oñati, the most elegant and monumental town in Gipuzkoa where we will enjoy its monuments. We will follow the path between rocks to reach the most important sanctuary in Gipuzkoa, the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Arantzazu, considered to be the best example of contemporary Basque art.
While we explore the interior of the sanctuary, we will discover what life was like for the monks of the Franciscan Order who lived within its walls. After this last visit, we will return to Bilbao.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children from 2 to 12 years old||Children under 2 years old|
Children from 2 to 12 years oldUS$ 39.20
Children under 2 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english and spanish.
Pick up and drop off at your hotel.
Transport by bus or minibus.
Official English speaking guide.
Food and drink.
Entry to the monuments.
When to book?
You can book up until 30 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.