Carthaginians and Romans left their mark on the historical centre of Cartagena. Discover their interesting legacy on this guided tour around the old quarter.
Guided Tour of Cartagena
We'll start our guided tour of Cartagena next to the stairs to the walls, where there is a statue of Charles III of Spain. Do you know the link between this Spanish monarch and the region of Murcia?
Just a few steps away we'll set foot in the Plaza de los Héroes de Cavite square, named after the heroes of the Battle of Cavite in the Spanish-American War in 1898. We'll stop at the monument that pays tribute to the victims of said battle and throughout the tour, we'll discover how this conflict, in Philippine waters, had a series of historical consequences on the city.
We'll continue our guided walking tour past the Naval Museum of Cartagena, where we'll stop outside to discover the history of Isaac Peral: the sailer and soldier from Cartagena that came up with the prototype of the first known submarine. Our next stop will be at the Casa del Rey, a historical barrack that housed the Army of Flanders before they left for the Low Countries along the so-called Spanish Road.
Continuing through the old town of Cartagena we'll reach the Cerro del Molinete Archeological Park, where the ruins help us to better understand the Carthaginian and Roman past of the city. Our tour will continue to the Roman Theatre of Cartagena, where we'll visit the ruins of the Byzantine Walls (closed on Mondays).
From the walls, we'll head to the Cornisa Archeological Park; the perfect spot to enjoy excellent views of the Castillo de la Concepción castle. We'll then cross the famous Cuatro Santos street and finish our tour outside the Casa del Niño; by now you'll be experts on the city!
- Children must be at least 3 years old to take part on this tour.
- The underground passages of the Byzantine Walls are currently closed due to restoration work, meaning we'll only see them from outside.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 15 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children between 3 and 10 years old||Children under 3|
|Tour in English||
Tour in English
Children between 3 and 10 years oldFree
Children under 3not permitted
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide specialised in the history of Cartagena.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Carlos III Monument (bust of Charles III), in front of the steps to the walls.