Discover the best of San Francisco's history, culture and architecture on this guided walking tour of the Californian city - what's more, it's FREE!
San Francisco Free Walking Tour Itinerary
On the day of your free walking tour, meet your guide in San Francisco's most important public plaza: Union Square. Located in the heart of the city centre, the square is a popular meeting place for locals and tourists alike, and has played host to concerts, protests and other public events throughout its history.
Stroll through the streets surrounding Union Square in the direction of Maiden Lane, one of San Francisco's best known shopping streets. The high-end boutiques and art galleries that line the pedestrianised mall make it a popular spot for retail therapy in the city.
Continuing on your free walking tour, you'll soon reach Dragon Gate, the emblematic archway marking the beginning of San Francisco's Chinatown. The colourful façades of the temples, stores and restaurants with their Chinese lanterns and Mandarin and Cantonese signs give the impression that you've entered an Asian city - without leaving the USA! Did you know that San Francisco Chinatown is the second largest Chinese enclave in the United States? You'll have the opportunity to visit a local fortune cookie shop to learn more about the culture here.
Leaving Chinatown behind, you'll head into the Financial District. Discover the contrast of buildings like the marble-clad former Pacific Stock Exchange with contemporary skyscrapers such as the Transamerica Pyramid, a futuristic building that is one of the most characteristic structures in San Francisco.
Finally, for the finishing touch on your free walking tour, your guide will lead you to a secret terrace, a place little-known by locals and tourists, from which you'll be able to enjoy impressive views of this iconic US city.
Weekends and public holidays
Please note, on weekends and public holidays, the free walking tour of San Francisco will finish at the pier rather than at the secret terrace.
It is not possible to book this tour for groups larger than 6 people. If you're a bigger group, please reserve a Private Tour of San Francisco instead.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 12 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear gloves throughout its duration.
- Disinfected radio units will be provided, and headphones will be single-use.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The transport used will be disinfected before and after each service and deep-cleaned every 24 hours.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
Free tours do not have a fixed price, rather each person offers the guide the amount they consider appropriate, depending on their level of satisfaction.
2 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
You can book up until 18 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
If you are not able to attend the tour, please cancel your reservation, otherwise the guide will be waiting for you.
Union Square, on the corner of Post and Powell Streets.