Discover the extraordinary paintings of the Altamira caves and visit the museum's replica of this over 30,000-year-old site. You'll also get to explore the medieval town of Santillana del Mar.
Altamira and Santillana del Mar Trip
We'll set off from Santander in the morning and head to the town of Santillana del Mar, where the cave of Altamira is located. This cave is one of the most important Palaeolithic sites in the world, and only five people a week are allowed to enter in order to guarantee its preservation.
We'll then visit the Altamira National Museum and Research Centre where we'll be able to see a life-size replica of the caves. We'll marvel at the detailed cave paintings and learn about how the cave was discovered in 1868.
Afterwards, we'll begin our tour of Santillana del Mar, a beautiful medieval town known as "the town of three lies", because despite what its name suggests in Spanish, it is not holy (santo) and has no plains (llana) and no sea (mar)!
The tour will lead us down to the Plaza Mayor, and we'll enjoy our stroll through the town's cobbled streets before reaching the collegiate church of Santa Juliana. You'll have an hour of free time to explore Santillana del Mar on your own and admire the medieval architecture in its historic centre.
At the end of the tour we'll make our way back to Santander.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 5 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- Alcohol gel will be available before, during, and after the service.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- The temperature of all attendees will be taken, and admission will be denied to those with a temperature of more than 37 degrees Celsius (99 Fahrenheit), and a full refund applied.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
|Adults||Children between 2 and 12 years old||Children under 2 years old|
Children between 2 and 12 years oldUS$ 31.30
Children under 2 years oldFree
4 hours 30 minutes.
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english, although it may occasionally be done in two languages.
Hotel pick up.
Transport in a minivan.
English speaking guide.
Entry to Altamira museum.
When to book?
You can book up until 9 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not suitable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Calle Castelar, 49.